Conrad Grimes, then Associate Professor of Organ at the University of Manitoba, served First Presbyterian as organist and was a friend of Christ Lutheran. With his help, and through the Organ Clearing House with Alan Laufman, the church became aware that a tracker organ of two manuals and pedal was available. This was the Geo. S. Hutchings Op. 426 (1896), which had been removed from a Unitarian congregation in Boston and stood semi-assembled in the organ shop of the Stuart Organ Co. under the direction of Richard Hedgebeth (1944–2019). The pipes were not installed but were stored in groups around the side of the instrument.
Using the Hutchings organ as a foundation, Richard Hedgebeth rebuilt the instrument as Stuart Organ Co. Op. 30R. It represents Hedgebeth’s only installation outside the United States. With the closure of the Christ Lutheran congregation in 2014, the organ was gifted, along with dismantling costs, to St. John’s Norway, where the Alan T. Jackson Co. installed it in 2018.
-- 2023 OHS Handbook
Updated by Matthew Whitfield, who has heard or played the organ.