Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

Steer & Turner [J.W. Steer] (Opus 45, 1872)

Location:

St. Paul's Episcopal Church
1000 Michigan Avenue
La Porte, IN 46350 US
Organ ID: 6566

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Episcopal and Anglican Churches
  • The organ has been rebuilt or substantially revised.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Database Manager on April 03, 2020.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Slider
  • 14 ranks. 745 pipes. 3 divisions. 2 manuals. 13 stops. 16 registers.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): Slider chests
  • Position: In a case at the front of the room.
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on April 03, 2020.
Main:
  • Manuals: 2
  • Divisions: 3
  • Stops: 13
  • Registers: 16
  • Position: Keydesk attached.
  • Manual Compass: 58
  • Pedal Compass: 27
  • Key Action: Mechanical connection from key to chest (tracker, sticker or mix).
  • Stop Action: Mechanical connection between stop control and chest.
  • Console Style: Traditional style without cover.
  • Stop Controls: Drawknobs in vertical rows on flat jambs.
  • Combination Action: No combination action.
  • Swell Control Type: Balanced swell shoes/pedals.
  • Pedalboard Type: Flat straight pedalboard.
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on April 03, 2020.
None on April 09, 2020:

Updated though online information from James R. Stettner. -- The organ was originally free-standing and fully encased at the front on the left with the facade facing across the chancel. At the time of a sanctuary renovation, the organ was recessed into a facade - still in front on the left. The facade was reconfigured.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on October 30, 2004:

Rebuilt and enlarged by Ronald Wahl in 1978 to 24 ranks.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
Source not recorded: Open In New Tab Typed stoplist (Source: The Stopt Diapason, August 1980)
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Instrument Images:

Original Steer & Turner before relocating inside church (ca. 1880's): Photograph from church archives; courtesy of Jane & Bill Snyder via John Gouwens.

Organ after church alterations and relocation (1976): Photograph courtesy of Jane & Bill Snyder via John Gouwens.

Chancel facade and keydesk (1976): Photograph courtesy of Jane & Bill Snyder via John Gouwens.

Back of facade (1976): Photograph courtesy of Jane & Bill Snyder via John Gouwens.

Keydesk (1976): Photograph courtesy of Jane & Bill Snyder via John Gouwens.

Keydesk: Great stopjamb (1976): Photograph courtesy of Jane & Bill Snyder via John Gouwens.

Keydesk: Swell and Pedal stopjamb (1976): Photograph courtesy of Jane & Bill Snyder via John Gouwens.

Great pipework (1976): Photograph courtesy of Jane & Bill Snyder via John Gouwens.

Great pipework (f-b): II Mixture, 2' Fifteenth, 4' Flute a Chemineee, 4' Octave, 8' Melodia (1976): Photograph courtesy of Jane & Bill Snyder via John Gouwens.

Swell pipework (f-b): 8' Oboe, 4' Wald Flute, 8' St. Diapason, 8' Keraulophon, 8' Open Diapason (1976): Photograph courtesy of Jane & Bill Snyder via John Gouwens.

Pedal trackers, reservoir (1976): Photograph courtesy of Jane & Bill Snyder via John Gouwens.

This instrument has been viewed 154 times.