First Christian Congregational
1113 Grand Army of the Republic Highway
Swansea, MA 02777 US
Organ ID: 6595
Updated through online information from Scot Huntington.
The church was built between 1830 and 1832, but whether it had an organ prior to the Hook is presently unknown. The 1868 E. & G.G. Hook organ was originally installed in the 2nd-floor gallery beneath the steeple, which at the time was the liturgical front of the church: one entered the sanctuary with the congregation facing you.
In 1873, the liturgical axis was reversed, and a chancel addition was built at the other end to accommodate the organ, choir, and pulpit, all on a raised platform. The organ was slightly recessed into a niche at the rear of the chancel. The organ case was originally designed to fit beneath the curved ceiling, and a peaked cornice box was added to the top of the case to improve its squat proportions when moved to the front of the church.
,br>An electric blower was added and the facade pipes painted gold at an unknown date. The organ was refurbished by the Andover Organ Company in 1963. This work was largely restorative in nature, but alterations were made to the wind system and tonal regulation at that time. In 2008, Andover beautifully restored the original facade pipe stenciling.
Facade at front of room: Photograph from an archival source: 2005 OHS Handbook, William T. Van Pelt, submitted by Paul R. Marchesano. Taken on 2004-05-10
Keydesk: Photograph from an archival source: 2005 OHS Handbook, William T. Van Pelt, submitted by Paul R. Marchesano. Taken on 2004-05-10
Right stop jamb: Photograph from an archival source: 2005 OHS Handbook, William T. Van Pelt, submitted by Paul R. Marchesano. Taken on 2004-05-10