The English Lutheran Church of Our Saviour was founded on August 3, 1901, and was the first English speaking congregation of the Missouri Synod in Brooklyn. At some time, possibly around 1908 when the organ was installed, the congregation opened a brick Gothic church building on Covert Street, between Broadway and Bushwick Avenue. The church closed at an unknown time, but the building is extant and used as a V.F.W. post.
The organ in Our Saviour's English Lutheran Church was built by J.W. Steere & Son of Springfield, Mass. A ledger book copy of the contract shows that Steere used "Weigle's Tubular Pneumatic System of organ action," and had a case (and organist's bench) of quarter-sawed oak with display pipes decorated in French Gold Bronze. The attached keydesk had draw stops placed in angled terraces, a roll top cover, and a concave pedalboard with radiating sharps. Wind was provided by an Orgoblo operating on 220 volts D.C. The contract was signed on September 14, 1908, and the organ was to be finished by December 1, 1908. Total price was $2190.We received the most recent update for this note from Jeff Scofield on November 24, 2020.
Church interior and pipe façade: Photograph from an archival source: Brooklyn Public Library via the NYC AGO NYC Organ Project, submitted by Jeff Scofield. Taken approx. 1920
Church interior to rear: Photograph from an archival source: Brooklyn Public Library via the NYC AGO NYC Organ Project, submitted by Jeff Scofield. Taken approx. 1920