Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

Wm. Johnson & Son (Opus 756, 1891)

Location:

Pilgrim Congregational Church
North Canaan, CT US
Organ ID: 68190

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Congregational Church
  • The organ has been relocated.
  • The organ's condition is good, in regular use.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Scot Huntington on April 29, 2021.

Technical Details:

  • 9 ranks. 3 divisions. 2 manuals. 11 stops. 17 registers.
Chancel:
  • Built by Wm. Johnson & Son
  • Manuals: 2
  • Divisions: 3
  • Stops: 11
  • Registers: 17
  • Position: Keydesk attached.
  • Manual Compass: 58
  • Pedal Compass: 27
  • Key Action: Mechanical connection from key to chest (tracker, sticker or mix).
  • Stop Action: Mechanical connection between stop control and chest.
  • Console Style: Traditional style with a keyboard cover that can be lifted to form a music rack.
  • Stop Controls: Drawknobs in horizontal rows on terraced/stepped jambs.
  • Swell Control Type: Balanced swell shoes/pedals, not in standard AGO position.
  • Pedalboard Type: Flat straight pedalboard.
We received the most recent update for this console from Scot Huntington on April 29, 2021.
Scot Huntington on April 29, 2021:

The previously noted information has been confirmed by OHS member Richard Hamar who serviced the organ before its removal. The congregation merged back with the East Canaan parent congregation prior to the organ's sale through the Organ Clearing House. The Pilgrim church building is extant but repurposed long ago to another purpose. The church office across the street is now the main office for the merged congregation, again retitled back to its original name prior to the redistricting of the town with new names in the 1870s: the North Canaan Congregational Church, and the church office building houses the Pilgrim House, a local food pantry. At the time of its removal, the Johnson was in excellent condition and had been fitted with an electric blower. The pipe-fence facade was once stencilled, but painted over with gold radiator paint for many decades.

We received the most recent update for this note from Scot Huntington on April 29, 2021.

Scot Huntington on April 26, 2021:

Further research indicates that in 1980, likely a date for the merger of the two congregations, the organ was sold through the Organ Clearing House to Our Lady of Lourdes, R.C. Greenwood, South Carolina and restored by Mann & Trupiano. It was subsequently sold again in 1998-99 through the Clearing House, to Westminster Presbyterian, Gainesville, Florida, a modern contemporary building, by the Knowlton Organ Co. and church members.

We received the most recent update for this note from Scot Huntington on April 26, 2021.

Scot Huntington on April 25, 2021:

The various towns suffixed Canaan in Connecticut's most northwest county are not be confused with New Canaan in the southwest corner closer to New York City. The first congregational church was organized here in the mid-1700s, and constructed a stately ediface in 1822 which still stands. It has been known over the past 150 years as North, East, and now again North Canaan Congregational Church. Ca. 1878 the {East Canaan) church installed a new organ, added an electric blower in 1929 for $156.655, and replaced it with a new Wicks organs ca. 1958. When North Canaan was broken into two towns in the 1880s, the church was now physically in East Canaan and commensurately renamed. For somewhat complicated reasons, the congregation sanctioned the creation of an offshoot parish and building in the section of town that remained North Canaan in 1887, called Pilgrim Congregational Church.

It is this church which I believe installed the Wm. Johnson & Son Op. 756 in 1891, not the parent church (simply called "Congregational Church, Canaan" in the Viner notebook description of this organ). This was a compact shingle-style building. By the early 1960s, the two congregations were sharing a minister but still maintaining individual parishes and buildings. The on-line history of the present church ends in the late 1960s and as of 2021 there is no longer a Pilgrim Congregational church in this town. The East Canaan Congregational Church has again embraced its original name, North Canaan Congregational Church, presumably with a single, unified congregation. The fate of the Johnson organ is unknown.

We received the most recent update for this note from Scot Huntington on April 25, 2021.
Viner ledger notebook.: Open In New Tab Ledger in the American Organ Archives, page 44 Originally published 1891
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from Scot Huntington on April 25, 2021.

Instrument Images:

The database contains no images for this instrument. If you have some, please share them using the update entry button on this page.

Pipe Organs in Connecticut sponsored by:
This instrument has been viewed 42 times.