Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

Columbia Organ Works (1989)

Originally Koehnken & Grimm (1890ca.)

Location:

Spang Crest Nursing Home
945 Duke Street
Lebanon, PA 17042 US
Chapel of the Abiding Christ
Organ ID: 68493

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Hospitals, retirement/nursing homes, etc.
  • The organ is unaltered from its original state.
  • The organ's condition is good, used occasionally.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Paul R. Marchesano on June 09, 2021.

Technical Details:

  • 7 ranks. 210 pipes. 3 divisions. 2 manuals. 7 stops. 7 registers.
Keydesk:
  • Built by Koehnken & Grimm
  • Manuals: 2
  • Divisions: 3
  • Stops: 7
  • Registers: 7
  • Position: Keydesk attached.
  • Manual Compass: 61
  • Pedal Compass: 27
  • Key Action: Mechanical connection from key to chest (tracker, sticker or mix).
  • Stop Action: Mechanical connection between stop control and chest.
  • Console Style: Traditional style with a keyboard cover that can be lifted to form a music rack.
  • Stop Controls: Drawknobs in horizontal rows on terraced/stepped jambs.
  • Pedalboard Type: Flat straight pedalboard.
We received the most recent update for this console from Paul R. Marchesano on June 09, 2021.
Paul R. Marchesano on June 09, 2021:

The instrument contains several parts of earlier origin, probably ca. 1845: manual windchests, a Dulciana rank, and a Stopped Diapason rank. It is believed to have been built for a residence and is known to have served a chapel in Dayton, OH. In the late 1940s it became a residence organ again and was last located in Columbia, MD. Various modifications and homemade additions of spurious stops on electric unit windchests had accrued to the 2-7 organ by the time of its acquisition by Larry Pruett of Columbia Organ Works. The firm restored the 1890 case of walnut, fabricating about 20 percent of its parts which were absent A 27-note Pedal keyboard was fitted and a set of 19th-century 16' Bourdon pipes added. The original Pedal division of unknown compass comprised an 8' Flute of open wood, of which 14 pipes remain extant. Chests were retabled and a useable stoplist derived to Include the older pipes of fine quality which were in the organ, including the 4' Rohr Flute of metal with soldered caps. From the Jardine organ at St. John's Episcopal Church In Brooklyn, NY, are the 4' Octave and 2' Principal; the 8' Open Diapason is new. The instrument was dedicated in a concert on April 16, 1989, by Richard B. Strattan. -- The Tracker, 33:1, 1989, p. 13

We received the most recent update for this note from Paul R. Marchesano on June 09, 2021.
Published in the Tracker, 33:1, 1989: Open In New Tab Originally published 1989
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from Paul R. Marchesano on June 09, 2021.

Instrument Images:

Organ case freestanding, photo by William N. Duck III, 1989: Photograph from an archival source: The Tracker, Volume 33, Number 1, 1989, submitted by Paul R. Marchesano. Taken approx. 1989

Pipe Organs in the Philadelphia area sponsored by:
This instrument has been viewed 16 times.