Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

Murray M. Harris (Organ Co.) (1898)

Originally Geo. Kilgen & Son, Inc. (1887)

Location:

First Baptist Church / Full Gospel Tabernacle
727 S. Flower Street
Los Angeles, CA US
Organ ID: 8966

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Baptist Churches
  • The organ has been relocated.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Slider
  • 26 ranks. 1,362 pipes. 4 divisions. 3 manuals. 25 stops. 24 registers.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): Slider chests
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Main:
  • Manuals: 3
  • Divisions: 4
  • Stops: 25
  • Registers: 24
  • Position: Keydesk attached.
  • Manual Compass: 58
  • Pedal Compass: 27
  • Key Action: Mechanical connection from key to chest (tracker, sticker or mix).
  • Stop Action: Mechanical connection between stop control and chest.
  • Console Style: Traditional style with a keyboard cover that can be lifted to form a music rack.
  • Stop Controls: Drawknobs in horizontal rows on terraced/stepped jambs.
  • Combination Action: No combination action.
  • Swell Control Type: Balanced swell shoes/pedals.
  • Pedalboard Type: Flat straight pedalboard.
  • Has Coupler Reversible Toe Pistons
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Database Manager on July 02, 2008:

Updated through on-line information from James R. Stettner.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on October 30, 2004:

The original builder was Geo. Kilgen & Son (1887).

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on October 30, 2004:

Kilgen moved by Harris to new building. Moved again in 1923 to 1728 W. 6th St. (by whom)? Building & organ sold 1927. Used by several denominations after 1927. The Full Gospel Tabernacle, Los Angeles, CA owned it in 1978, & sold the organ through OCH to Holy Rosary R. C., Edmond, WA. [Was this in a chapel of First Baptist at any time?]

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
Source not recorded: Open In New Tab Typed stoplist from the OHS PC Database.
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Instrument Images:

Organ facade: Photograph from an archival source: https://ccdl.claremont.edu/digital/collection/bce/id/171, submitted by Rev. Dr. Van Herd. Taken approx. 1900

Church exterior: Photograph from an archival source: https://ccdl.claremont.edu/digital/collection/bce/id/669/rec/4, submitted by Rev. Dr. Van Herd. Taken approx. 1900

This instrument has been viewed 386 times.