Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

Richard Craig Hamar (1971)

Originally Edwin Lafayette [E. L.] Holbrook (1)

Location:

The Congregational Church UCC
273 route 81
Killingworth, CT 06419 US
Organ ID: 9432

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Congregational Church
  • The organ is unaltered from its original state.
  • The organ's condition is good, in regular use.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Slider
  • 22 ranks. 885 pipes. 2 manuals. 17 stops.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): Slider chests
  • Position: Pipes exposed (in whole or in part) in a gallery at the rear of the room.
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Main:
  • Manuals: 2
  • Stops: 17
  • Position: Keydesk attached, manuals set into case.
  • Manual Compass: 58
  • Pedal Compass: 25
  • Key Action: Mechanical connection from key to chest (tracker, sticker or mix).
  • Stop Action: Mechanical connection between stop control and chest.
  • Console Style: Traditional style without cover.
  • Stop Controls: Drawknobs in horizontal rows on terraced/stepped jambs.
  • Combination Action: No combination action.
  • Swell Control Type: Trigger/hitch-down swell.
  • Pedalboard Type: Concave radiating pedalboard not meeting AGO standards.
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Database Manager on February 29, 2012:

Updated through online information from T. Daniel Hancock. -- "The [Congregational Church in Killingworth] was organized in the 1730's, but the present building was begun in 1817 and completed in 1820. It is attributed to the well known early 19th century architect, Ithiel Town. The organ is very unusual-- it is a two manual organ built in 1875 by E.L. Holbrook, a regional builder from East Medway, MA. Holbrook was a mostly self taught builder whose work was rather shoddy in some respects: one might perhaps call him a folk organ builder. The case of the organ looks rather crude in comparison to the work of the best builders of the period. It sports a painted board across the front with the motto, 'Let All The People Praise Thee', and also has something that was very experimental at the time: exposed Great pipework. Richard Hamar, who restored the organ in 1971, was with us for the day, and he explained what he had done in the restoration. Especially interesting was the printed program of the dedication of the organ in 1875. Typical of the time, it featured vocal solos and choral works in addition to organ works. All of the organ works on the program were performed by the builder." (excerpted from Stephen Roberts posting to Piporg-L)

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on May 31, 2011:

Updated through on-line information from Maryann McCary. -- Rebuild in 1971 by Mr. Hamar included: replacement of hand pumping bellows by an electric blower; addition of two ranks in the pedal section, extension of the pedal compass 5 additional notes. The rest of his work was a restoration back to the original description. The original dedication and rededication programs from 1875 and 1971 are preserved in the church.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on October 30, 2004:

The original builder was E. L. Holbrook (1875).

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on October 30, 2004:

Status Note: There 1994

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on October 30, 2004:

Rebuild and enlargement. OH 1975 indicates he restored original specification and enlarged pedal division from 25 notes to 30 notes.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
Open In New Tab Original document from . Originally published 2019-05-29
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from Database Manager on May 29, 2019.

Instrument Images:

Builder's Nameplate: Photograph by Jerry Mead. Taken on 2019-05-22

Keydesk: Photograph by Jerry Mead. Taken on 2019-05-22

Organ Facade and Keydesk: Photograph by Jerry Mead. Taken on 2019-05-22

Pipe Organs in Connecticut sponsored by:
This instrument has been viewed 610 times.