This entry describes an original installation of a new pipe organ.
Identified by Steven Bartley, citing information from this publication: The Times Dispatch, Richmond VA 6/15/1905 pg3.
TEST GREAT ORGAN.
Free Recital Given This Evening at Centenary Church.
The handsome new organ of the Centenary Methodist Church will be given a trial and test this evening that the music loving portion of the congregation have looked forward to with great interest. Mr. Shepherd Webb, organist, will give a recital, which will be a musical treat. The new organ, which cost about $10,000 has just been erected in the church, and its wonderful capabilities have never been publicly tested. The recital this evening is open to the public without card of admission.
Following is the scheme of the really wonderful instrument: Three manual, tubular pneumatic manuals, sixty-one notes, on third wind; pedals, thirty notes on three and a half wind
(organ specs listed next)
The action is tubular pneumatic throughout the whole organ. The wind is supplied by two sets of bellows. The main bellows supplies wind to stop action, mechanicals and pedal organ; the second bellows supplies third pressure to the manuals. The blowing is done by a two horsepower R. E. electric motor rheostat & co, placed in a room outside the organ chamber, so as to eliminate all noise.
The organ is built by the firm of Hook, Hastings and Company, Boston, and represents the latest and most approved methods in organ construction.
"Converted from tubular to electric action with new console by Estey in 1928. Extensive alterations and some additions by E. M. Skinner 1943. Replaced by Casavant ... 1965, Op. 2845." [Richmondago.org/orgtour.html]
Identified through information on the Richmond AGO web site: www.richmondago.org/orgtour.html, accessed December 24, 2006.
The database contains no images for this instrument. If you have some, please share them using the update entry button on this page.