Milwaukee, Wisconsin, 1903-c.1913.
Note from the OHS PC Database, derived from A Guide to North American Organbuilders, by David H. Fox (Richmond, Va., Organ Historical Society, 1991). Edited for the revised OHS Online Database website, 2017. -
Staff: Edward V. Clarke; Paul J. Kuechle; Hugo E. Stahl.
Note from the Organ Database Builders Listing editor Stephen Hall, April 22, 2017. -
It is not clear that Hann-Wangerin was an organbuilding firm. Joseph Hann was an architect and Adolph Wangerin was a furniture maker specializing in church furnishings. Neither seems to have had prior training in organbuilding. The Database contains only one organ listed as Hann-Wangerin, (Organ ID 540, St. Stephen Lutheran Church, Milwaukee, Wisconsin), and it lacks the original nameplate.
In 1903, organbuilder George Weickhardt joined the firm, and it became Hann-Wangerin-Weickhardt Co. From that point onward, it was an organbuilding firm in addition to church furnishings. Interestingly, the name plates on the organs on the Hann-Wangerin-Weickhardt and Wangerin-Weickhardt organs read "The Weickhardt organ built by (Hann-)Wangerin-Weickhardt Co. Milwaukee, Wisconsin" indicating that the organs were considered to be by Weickhardt even though the company name is Wangerin-Weickhardt. By the time of Weickhardt's death in 1919, Wangerin was sufficiently knowledgeable to continue the company on his own, with the help of the remaining staff although Philipp Wirsching was hired as head voicer at that point.