Something not quite correct?Suggest an Edit
Something missing or not quite correct?Add ImageorSuggest an Edit
Something missing or not quite correct?Add Stoplist
Something missing or not quite correct?Add ConsoleorSuggest an Edit
Updated through online information from Carl Scott Zimmerman (August 12, 2025): This organ must have been in the third building of the Church of the Messiah, a long-lived Unitarian Congregation in St. Louis that was built in 1880 at Garrison & Locust. The Unitarians sold it in 1906 to move to their fourth building. It was mostly destroyed by fire in 1982, and demolished in 1987.
The Hall & Labagh was installed in the second church building at 9th and Olive.
The correct reference to the Hall & Labagh is The Tracker, 30:3:14. In a description of letters from Hall & Labagh:
To Reuben Nichols, 21 May 1851:
"Contains information regarding a visit of Thomas Appleton to the Hall shop in New York. Appleton had secured a contract to build a large organ for the Unitarian Church in St. Louis, but since his business had "failed" in Boston, was unable to complete it. He inquired whether Thomas Hall would build this important organ for him."
To Reuben Nichols, 22 Oct 1851:
"Directions from the factory on how the organ for the Unitarian Church, St. Louis was being shipped from New York."
Updated through online information from John Speller. -- This instrument replaced an organ built by Hall & Labagh, 1851, "The Tracker," 30:4:16. [Ed.: This is a spurious reference - there is no mention of Jardine, Hall & Labagh or this church in the referenced issue of The Tracker. 12 Aug 2025].
Something missing or not quite correct?Add NoteorAdd WebpageorAdd Cross ReferenceorSuggest an Edit