Henry Bevington, & Sons
1862

Christ Church [Cathedral] (Anglican)

930 Burdett Avenue
Victoria, BC, CA

6 Ranks
Instrument ID: 1785 ● Builder ID: 7063 ● Location ID: 1729
⬆️ These are database IDs that may change. Don't use as academic reference.

Something not quite correct?Suggest an Edit

IMAGES

Category:
Only show images in a specific category ☝️

No images are available. If you have pictures of this instrument, please consider sharing them with us.

Something missing?Add Image

STOPLISTS

No stoplist details are available. If you have stoplists, please consider sharing them with us.

Something missing?Add StoplistorSuggest an Edit

CONSOLES

Selected Item:
View additional console entries if they exist ☝️

Builder: Unknown
Position: Unknown
Design: Unknown
Pedalboard Type: Unknown
Features:
1 Manuals 5 StopsMechanical (Unknown) Key ActionMechanical Stop Action

Stop Layout: Unknown
Expression Type: Unknown
Combination Action: Unknown
Control System: Unknown or N/A

Something missing or not quite correct?Add ConsoleorSuggest an Edit

DETAILS

Switch between notes, documents, audio, and blowers ☝️
This instrument is: Not Extant and Not Playable in this location

Paul R. Marchesano on February 23rd, 2021:

Previously attributed to Alex Burnhardt. At the time of this installation, the church was known as a parish church; it was made a cathedral in 1865.


Database Manager on January 10th, 2016:

According to an article by Eugene Nye in The Tracker, Volume 10, Number 4, and Vol. 3, No. 4, the organ was built by Bevington and Sons of London and shipped around Cape Horn to Victoria.


Database Manager on October 30th, 2004:

Status Note: There 1996.


Database Manager on October 30th, 2004:

Placed in the church's 1st bldg. by William Seeley in 1862. Church burned in 1869. Organ dragged outside, with some pipes damaged. Seeley replaced them with pipes of California redwood and placed organ in his hotel dining room. Sold in 1874 to St. Andrew's R. C. Cathedral. Moved to 2nd gallery in new bldg. in 1897. Moved to new Christ Church Cathedral as temporary organ during construction of a Walker organ. Sold in 1913 to St. Mark's Anglican, Saanich, BC. To Dallymore residence, Exquimalt, B. C. c. 1953. To west Gallery of Christ Church Cathedral in 1961. Dismantled. Restored and in use by 1996.

Related Instrument Entries: William C. S. Seeley (1869 ca.)

Something missing or not quite correct?Add NoteorAdd WebpageorAdd Cross ReferenceorSuggest an Edit

Pipe Organ Database

A project of the Organ Historical Society