Something not quite correct?Suggest an Edit
We are grateful for the generous support of our sponsors, who make it possible for us to continue our mission of preserving and promoting the rich history of pipe organs across the globe.
Something missing or not quite correct?Add ImageorSuggest an Edit
Something missing or not quite correct?Add StoplistorSuggest an Edit
Something missing or not quite correct?Add ConsoleorSuggest an Edit
In 1931, the Skinner Organ Company of Boston rebuilt and enlarged the 1912 J. W. Steere & Son organ, itself a rebuild of the original chancel organ built in 1895 by George S. Hutchings. Skinner added a Solo division in a new chamber on the right side, and an Echo division in a gallery chamber. Tone openings of the chancel divisions were masked by pipe screens. The four-manual drawknob console was in a shallow pit and attached to the case on the left side of the chancel.
The Skinner organ was replaced in 1967 by a new Holtkamp organ that retained five of the Solo stops (Flauto Dolce, Flute Celeste, English Horn, French Horn and Orchestral Oboe), plus the old Swell Vox Humana and Choir Clarinet. The Echo division was sold to St. Paul's Church, Chestnut Hill, Penn. The console was removed by James McGregor, organ curator from 1949-2009, and sold to Douglas Pennoyer, Bernardsville, N.J. In 1983, the console was acquired by Robert Lockridge, who renovated it by replacing the removed combination action, swell shoes, etc.
Identified through information adapted from E. M. Skinner/Aeolian-Skinner Opus List, by Sand Lawn and Allen Kinzey (Organ Historical Society, 1997), and included here through the kind permission of Sand Lawn:
Rebuild of Geo. S. Hutchings, #388 which had been rebuilt by Steere in 1912 reusing thirty-four ranks; replaced by Holtkamp in 1966; Solo retained; Echo division sold to St. Paul's, Chestnut Hill, PA, #724.
Webpage Links: Opus 860: Church of the Ascension, Episcopal , Church of the Ascension
Related Instrument Entries: George R. Ellis (1966) , Steere Organ Company (1912) , Geo. S. Hutchings (& Co.) (Opus 388, 1895)
Something missing or not quite correct?Add NoteorAdd WebpageorAdd Cross ReferenceorSuggest an Edit