Something not quite correct?Suggest an Edit
We are grateful for the generous support of our sponsors, who make it possible for us to continue our mission of preserving and promoting the rich history of pipe organs across the globe.
Something missing or not quite correct?Add ImageorSuggest an Edit
Something missing?Add StoplistorSuggest an Edit
Something missing or not quite correct?Add ConsoleorSuggest an Edit
Updated through online information from Timothy E. Conyers. -- In 1892 the church underwent a remodeling program in which the exterior of the building took on a slightly different appearance. The Fiske Memorial Chapel and Parish House were built on the east side of the church. The spire was removed from the tower and the large arched window above the entrance was replaced by a rose window. A decorative porch was built over the entrance steps.
The old E. & G.G. Hook pipe organ, Opus 233, was removed and sold to St. Mary's Catholic Church of this city. (It is reported to still be there in part or whole). The choir gallery was left in place but the choir was relocated to the front of the chancel platform. A new pipe organ was purchased for $3500 from Wirsching Pipe Organ Co. of Salem, Ohio, and placed on the west side of the chancel. A small round tower was built onto the northwest corner of the building in which to house the pipework of the new organ. The facade of the instrument contained beautifully stenciled pipes and faced both into the nave and the chancel. The two manual keydesk was attached to the case on the nave side. Drawknobs were in horizontal rows on terraced jambs. In February 1902, the church building was almost destroyed by fire. The organ was badly damaged and it was necessary to refinish much of the church interior. There are no known records describing the extent of the damage to the instrument. In 1926 it became necessary to make further improvements to the instrument. The Moller Organ Co. did the work.
(Church Archives: "History of St. Paul's Episcopal Church" by Lulu M. Likens, June 1906. Vestry Minutes, special session, February 1, 1938. Letter dated May 3, 1979 to Pat Steele, from Anne Corsi, Regarding application to National Register of Historic Places.)
Identified through information in the 2007 Organ Atlas. Rebuilt by Möller as their Opus 3161 in 1926.
Related Instrument Entries: M. P. Möller (Opus 3161, 1926)
Something missing or not quite correct?Add NoteorAdd WebpageorAdd Cross ReferenceorSuggest an Edit