Something not quite correct?Suggest an Edit
Something missing?Add Image
Something missing?Add StoplistorSuggest an Edit
Something missing or not quite correct?Add ConsoleorSuggest an Edit
In 1878, the church contracted with another well-known American organ firm,
Hutchings-Plaisted of Boston to re-build and re-locate the organ. Substantially
expanded and moved from its balcony location to the left front side of the
church. In the move from balcony to front of the church, the organ size more
than doubled the number of pipes, and it received a new organ case. The
Hutchings-designed black walnut organ case, with minor modifications is still
in use today, albeit now painted white. Of tracker (mechanical) action, the 1878
organ was blown by hand until 1903, when a water motor was installed to raise
the necessary wind pressure.
The 1878 Hutchings organ was altered with conversion to electric key and stop
action and a new console in 1929, while retaining the Hutchings slider
windchests. The water motor was replaced with an electric unit in 1917. The
1878 Hutchings slider windchests on which the pipes sit were replaced in 1957
including a substantial renovation undertaken by the late Rostron Kershaw.
This re-building increased the organ to twenty-eight ranks and a set of chimes.
-- from "The First Parish Organ", history via church website
Updated through online information from T. Daniel Hancock.
Identified through online information from T. Daniel Hancock. -- Owen, 1979, reports that the organ was originally built by Goodrich in 1829 for this church. Someone added a Sub Bass 16' to the pull-down pedalboard ca. 1852, and Hutchings, Plaisted, & Co. provided a new case, new console, and new action during the 1880's.
Related Instrument Entries: Wm. M. Goodrich (1829) , Berkshire Organ Co., Inc. (1976) , Faucher Organ Company, Inc. (Opus 11, 1995)
Something missing or not quite correct?Add NoteorAdd WebpageorAdd Cross ReferenceorSuggest an Edit