Heilner & Schumacher
1894

St. Augustine Roman Catholic Church

15th street near M street NW
Washington, DC, US

Instrument ID: 59703 ● Builder ID: 2763 ● Location ID: 52027
⬆️ These are database IDs that may change. Don't use as academic reference.VIEW STOPLIST

Something not quite correct?Suggest an Edit

IMAGES

Category:
Only show images in a specific category ☝️

No images are available. If you have pictures of this instrument, please consider sharing them with us.

Something missing?Add Image

STOPLISTS

Selected Item:
View additional stoplist entries if they exist ☝️

Something missing or not quite correct?Add StoplistorSuggest an Edit

CONSOLES

Selected Item:
View additional console entries if they exist ☝️

Builder: Unknown
Position: Unknown
Design: Unknown
Pedalboard Type: Unknown
Features:
2 Manuals

Stop Layout: Unknown
Expression Type: Unknown
Combination Action: Unknown
Control System: Unknown or N/A

Something missing or not quite correct?Add ConsoleorSuggest an Edit

DETAILS

Switch between notes, documents, audio, and blowers ☝️
This instrument is: Not Extant and Not Playable in this location

Database Manager on January 17th, 2017:

This entry describes an original installation of a new pipe organ.

Identified by Steven Bartley, citing information from this publication: Baltimore Sun 12/29/1894 pg2; The Emergence of a Black Catholic Community By Morris J. MacGregor pgs 490,491,494.
The St Augustine congregation built this modified Gothic building, in 1874. It was designed by E F Baldwin, a prolific Baltimore architect for the B&O railroad, and on his own, designing many churches in Baltimore & Washington. In the book, The Emergence of a Black Catholic Community, the Author noted that the Ganter & Schumacher organ was 2 manual and 34 speaking stops. In 1901 the organ was rebuilt/enlarged by Adam Stein, of Baltimore to be 3 manuals & 54 stops. In 1960, St Augustine's was merged with that of nearby St. Paul's, at St Paul's, though the former congregation was still active and viable. The Archdiocese sold the building in the late 1940s. It was demolished, no information of the organ has yet been found.
George Schumacher was employed by August Pomplitz and at the time of Pomplitz's death, 1874, claiming to have been shop foreman; he branched out on his own. He showed up in the Baltimore Papers for some rather curious behavior, including opening mail of another employee, which landed him in court. Heilner was a Baltimore musician who lent his name to Schumacher for the building of several organs.

Something missing or not quite correct?Add NoteorAdd WebpageorAdd Cross ReferenceorSuggest an Edit

Pipe Organ Database

A project of the Organ Historical Society