This instrument has multiple revisions:

🤝 Instrument entries in Connecticut sponsored by:

We are grateful for the generous support of our sponsors, who make it possible for us to continue our mission of preserving and promoting the rich history of pipe organs across the globe.

Foley-Baker Inc.

IMAGES

Category:
Only show images in a specific category ☝️

Something missing or not quite correct?Add ImageorSuggest an Edit

STOPLISTS

No stoplist details are available. If you have stoplists, please consider sharing them with us.

Something missing?Add Stoplist

CONSOLES

Selected Item:
View additional console entries if they exist ☝️

Builder: E. & G. G. Hook
Position: Keydesk Attached
Design: Traditional With a Keyboard Cover That Can Be Lifted To Form a Music Rack
Pedalboard Type: Flat Straight
Features:
2 Manuals 15 StopsMechanical (Unknown) Key ActionMechanical Stop Action

Stop Layout: Drawknobs in Horizontal Rows on Terraced/Stepped Jambs
Expression Type: Balanced Expression Shoes/Pedals (Not Meeting AGO Standards)
Combination Action: Unknown
Control System: Unknown or N/A

Something missing or not quite correct?Add ConsoleorSuggest an Edit

DETAILS

Switch between notes, documents, audio, and blowers ☝️

Jim Stettner on December 27th, 2020:

Database Manager on September 15, 2014:

Updated through online information from John Igoe. -- April 2002 article in The Diapason describes the 1990 Andover restoration


Jim Stettner on December 27th, 2020:

Database Manager on June 10, 2007:

Identified through on-line information from James R. Stettner. -- Building originally built in 1866 as a performing arts/community center. Organ believed to be original, but only one documented E. & G.G. Hook appears on the Hook opus list - First Congregational, a I-manual from 1857. However, two Hook organs from 1866 exist but are for undesignated buyers/locations: opuses 392 and 393. Perhaps it is one of these. The facade is three-sectional with three Romanesque arches containing 23 stenciled facade pipes arranged: 7-9-7. Building gradually fell into disuse and the organ into disrepair. Suffered from some vandalism. 1978, Cheney Hall designated a National Historic Landmark Building by the U.S. Dept. of the Interior. Organ believed to have been restored by Andover ca. 1991.


Database Manager on February 15th, 2005:

Identified from company publications as edited and expanded in The Hook Opus List 1829-1935, ed. William T. Van Pelt (Organ Historical Society, 1991).


Database Manager on October 30th, 2004:

Status Note: There 1986


Database Manager on October 30th, 2004:

Restored in 2000 by Andover (Op. R290).

Related Instrument Entries: Andover Organ Co. (Opus R290, 2000)

Something missing or not quite correct?Add NoteorAdd WebpageorAdd Cross ReferenceorSuggest an Edit

Pipe Organ Database

A project of the Organ Historical Society