Something not quite correct?Suggest an Edit
Something missing?Add Image
Something missing?Add StoplistorSuggest an Edit
Something missing?Add Console
Known from a single report of the installation of a one manual and pedal organ in the Baltimore Sun, January 6, 1854. The church is only identified as "the Catholic church in Lynchburg." From the history page of the current day Holy Cross PArish, the church is identified:
"In 1841 Father Daniel Downy was assigned to Lynchburg. As a result of his congregation’s faith and commitment, the Church of St. Francis Xavier was built in 1843 at 9th and Clay Streets. Parishioners stood for services as there were no funds left for any furnishings.
With the arrival of Father James McGurk in 1869, the Church witnessed rapid growth. Two years later land was purchased in the amount of $6,000 for the erection of a new church at 7th and Clay Streets. On September 14, 1879, Holy Cross Catholic Church was dedicated. "
Something missing or not quite correct?Add NoteorAdd WebpageorAdd Cross ReferenceorSuggest an Edit