Something not quite correct?Suggest an Edit
Something missing or not quite correct?Add ImageorSuggest an Edit
Something missing?Add Stoplist
Something missing?Add Console
This information is from the Rochester Genealogical Society, Inc.
Around 1995, some changes were made to the Swell division: The 8' Unda Maris was turned into a 4' Flute; the 8' Aeoline was turned into a 2' Flute; and the existing 2' Flute was changed into a 2 2/3' (with the addition of 5 new pipes). This work was carried out by volunteers in conjunction with Parsons Organ Company.
Some changes to the Great 8' Diapason Forte have been made. In 1992, it was wired to the Pedal division to play at 8' and 4'. In 1994, the chest and pipes were relocated into the Pedal chamber and rewired to play from the top manual as a Solo stop. It seems that this work was also carried out by Parsons.
From a brief history of the organ published in 1987: "The Aeolian Pipe Organ at Webster Baptist originated at the home of William Wisner and Elizabeth Lyon Chapin on South Fitzhugh Street in Rochester. In 1938, their children gave this instrument to the church in memory of their parents. The original eight organs and three manual console were installed by the Kohl Organ Co. of Rochester after extensive altering to the sanctuary. Today, five organs remain. A new four manual console was installed in 1962. Funds from the Cecile Wright estate have been used to repair and tune the whole organ in 1982."
A January 31, 2010 Facebook photo shows a 4-manual, stopkey console.
The organ was given as a gift by the children of William Wisner Chapin. It was dedicated Sunday, November 20, 1938.
This entry represents the installation of a used organ. Identified through online information from Mark A. Smith (June 21 2025). The 1916 Aeolian was originally built for the Rochester, NY. residence of William Wisner Chapin.
Related Instrument Entries: The Aeolian Co. (Opus 1360, 1916)
Something missing or not quite correct?Add NoteorAdd WebpageorAdd Cross ReferenceorSuggest an Edit