IMAGES

Category:
Only show images in a specific category ☝️

Something missing or not quite correct?Add ImageorSuggest an Edit

STOPLISTS

No stoplist details are available. If you have stoplists, please consider sharing them with us.

Something missing?Add Stoplist

CONSOLES

No console details are available. If you have information, please consider sharing it with us.

Something missing?Add Console

DETAILS

Switch between notes, documents, audio, and blowers ☝️
This instrument is: Not Extant and Not Playable in this location

Alex Swanson on August 11th, 2026:

This organ began life as a 2/5 organ built by the Marr & Colton Company. Pencil handwriting inside the console shows "No. 19," possibly indicating that it was Opus 19 for the company, or perhaps a Model 19. Although Marr & Colton is not known to have ever compiled a complete opus list, the origins of this organ are well-known. The organ was dedicated on November 18 & 19, 1927 after its installation was complete in the Eltinge Theater in Bismarck, ND. (Some sources say the "Bismarck Theater," and its possible that the name was changed from Eltinge to Bismarck). The organ replaced an older Robert Morton organ. Henry K. Pederson was the organist who played the dedicatory concert. The organ's original ranks included a Tibia Clausa, Concert Flute/Bourdon, Salicional, Vox Humana, and Trumpet. The organ was shipped from the factory at Warsaw, NY and its shipping crate weighed 8,000 pounds.

The organ was used by the theatre at least into the early 1930s.​ Once sound films began phasing out the silent film era, John Hughes purchased the organ from the theatre, after which he sold it to Reinhold "Reiny" Delzer, who installed in his living room and enlarged it to a 2/6, likely adding the Diapason. Later, he added a 7th rank, likely the String Celeste.

Reiny was looking to enlarge the Marr & Colton and after sealing a quick deal to purchase a 4/20 Publix 1 Wurlitzer from Minneapolis in his living room, he decided to sell the Marr & Colton and asked his neighbors across the street, Charles "Chuck" & Fran Welch if they would like to purchase the organ. They agreed, and built a 1,500-plus square foot addition to their house to make room for the organ. In 1961, the organ was moved to the Welch residence at 610 W Ave F in Bismarck by Gerhard Ephart of Minneapolis, MN and Lance Johnson of Fergus Falls, MN. Gerhard also installed the Publix 1 Wurlitzer at the Delzer residence. It took over a year to complete the installation of the Marr & Colton in the Welch residence.

Related Instrument Entries: Marr & Colton (1927) , Unknown Builder (ca. 1950s)

Something missing or not quite correct?Add NoteorAdd WebpageorAdd Cross ReferenceorSuggest an Edit

Pipe Organ Database

A project of the Organ Historical Society