The large, four-manual Austin Organ, Opus 2215, was installed in 1955 and voiced by Richard J. Piper, then tonal director of the Austin Organ Company. Several other organ builders bid for the project, including Aeolian-Skinner, Möller, and Schantz, but in September 1953 the church-s organ committee awarded the contract to the Austin Organs, Inc. at the price of $68,529. Alexander McCurdy played the dedication recital on Sunday evening, September 25, 1955. The program included works by J.S Bach, Brahms, Dupré, Langlais, and Schumann, as well as pieces specifically for the Schulmerich "Carillonic Bells.â€
This instrument is an example of Austin-s mid-century take on the American Classic style. Of generally small scale pipework, the instrument as installed was insufficient to fill the sanctuary. In 1967 Austin was invited to remedy the problem and added a Solo division with a large mixture and a battery of extremely loud reeds.
Updated through online information from Jeff Scofield. -- Renovated and Solo added in 1967; 32' Bourdon and V Cornet added in 1993.
Information identifying this instrument from the Austin Organs, Inc. website, accessed December 20, 2004: http://www.austinorgans.com/organ-research.htm.