From the NYC AGO NYC Organ Project: It was not until 1915 that the present edifice was completed on the vacant corner lot. Designed in a simplified Gothic style, the brick and stone building appears to be a pared-down version of the 1891 plans by Weary & Kramer, and features a rectangular tower at the corner that is surmounted by crenelations. Over the years the church's fortunes have been erratic, largely reflecting the demographic and economic swings of the neighborhood. During the 1920s, membership declined as the population in the area shifted from predominantly Protestant to predominantly Catholic. Largely due to concerns over this decline, the Sixth Avenue and 18th Street Methodist churches merged in 1930, and the combined congregations took the name Park Slope Methodist Church. The organ in Park Slope United Methodist Church was built in 1918 by the Austin Organ Company. Most of the pipes are enclosed in one expression box, except for the unenclosed Open Diapason that is partially in the façade. In 1962, the console was rebuilt by Austin but the organ is otherwise unchanged.We received the most recent update for this note from Jeff Scofield on November 27, 2020.
Updated through on-line information from Phill Greenland.We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
Information identifying this instrument from the Austin Organs, Inc. web site, accessed December 20, 2004: http://www.austinorgans.com/organ-research.htm.We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
Chancel and organ case: Photograph by Sebastian Glück via the NYC AGO NYC Organ Project, submitted by Jeff Scofield. Taken on 2014-04-07