Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

Cole & Woodberry (1892)

Location:

Highland Congregational Church
460 Westford St.
Lowell, MA 01851 US
Sanctuary
Organ ID: 1734

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Congregational Church
  • The organ has been relocated.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Jim Stettner on April 17, 2021.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Slider
  • 17 ranks. 940 pipes. 3 divisions. 2 manuals. 17 stops. 17 registers.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): Slider chests
  • Position: In a case at the front of the room.
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Main:
  • Manuals: 2
  • Divisions: 3
  • Stops: 17
  • Registers: 17
  • Position: Keydesk attached.
  • Manual Compass: 61
  • Pedal Compass: 27
  • Key Action: Mechanical connection from key to chest (tracker, sticker or mix).
  • Stop Action: Mechanical connection between stop control and chest.
  • Console Style: Traditional style with a keyboard cover that can be lifted to form a music rack.
  • Stop Controls: Drawknobs in horizontal rows on terraced/stepped jambs.
  • Combination Action: Fixed mechanical system.
  • Swell Control Type: Balanced swell shoes/pedals.
  • Pedalboard Type: Flat straight pedalboard.
  • Has Hitchdown Couplers
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Database Manager on October 23, 2008:

Updated through online information from James R. Stettner. -- The organ was housed behind a rather unique, asymmetrical,and fanciful case front in the front, left side of the sanctuary. Stop names are a bit a-traditional, having "Italianate" names like: Flautileno, Flauto Soave, Dolciano, Violettino, Corno di Cappella, etc. The combinations are via fixed foot trundles - two per division. There also Swell to Great sub octave and octave couplers via hitch-down. By 1969, the building and organ had become the property of Montefiore Synagogue. When the building wa razed in 1970, the organ was purchased by John Merriman and stored in Methuen, MA. It was later offered for resale through the Organ Clearing House, and relocated to St. John's Episcopal in Kirkland, WA. in 1974 (not 1970, as indicated above).

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on October 30, 2004:

Goodwin case. Tonal changes by Robert Reich (2-19) in 1958. [Additional alterations by Andover & Fisk?] Bldg. razed in 1970. Organ relocated through OCH to St. John's Episcopal, Kirkland, WA in 1970. [Visited by OHS convention in 1959.]

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
Typed stoplist (Source: The Tracker, Vol. 57, No. 2): Open In New Tab
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from Jim Stettner on March 20, 2021.

Instrument Images:

Organ facade: Photograph from the 1982 OHS Convention Handbook..

Keydesk: Photograph from the 1982 OHS Convention Handbook..

Church exterior: Photograph from an archival source: Montefiore Synangogue: online document, submitted by Jim Stettner. Taken approx. ca. 1970

Pipe Organs in Massachusetts sponsored by:
This instrument has been viewed 361 times.