Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

Odenbrett & Abler (Opus 1881, 1881)

Location:

St. Martin's R.C. Church
Valley City, OH 44280 US
Chapel (former church)
Organ ID: 1740

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Roman Catholic Churches
  • The organ has been altered from its original state.
  • The organ's condition is good, in regular use.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Database Manager on July 24, 2019.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Slider
  • 939 pipes. 3 divisions. 2 manuals. 18 stops.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): Slider chests
  • Position: In a gallery-level case at the rear of the room.
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on July 24, 2019.
Main:
  • Manuals: 2
  • Divisions: 3
  • Stops: 18
  • Manual Compass: 58
  • Pedal Compass: 27
  • Key Action: Mechanical connection from key to chest (tracker, sticker or mix).
  • Stop Action: Mechanical connection between stop control and chest.
  • Console Style: Traditional style with a keyboard cover that can be lifted to form a music rack.
  • Stop Controls: Drawknobs in horizontal rows on terraced/stepped jambs.
  • Swell Control Type: Balanced swell shoes/pedals, not in standard AGO position.
  • Pedalboard Type: Flat straight pedalboard.
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on July 24, 2019.
Database Manager on July 24, 2019:

Updated by Adam James, listing conversations with this person as the source of the information: Steve Dickson.

From what I was told by Mr. Steve Dickson, the current caretaker of this beautiful instrument, this Odenbrett and Abler op.1881 is the only working one in existence. Although this organ is old, it plays loud and proud!

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on July 25, 2019.

Database Manager on May 07, 2018: We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on July 24, 2019.

Database Manager on February 18, 2015:

Updated through online information from David Bohn. -- Blanchard electrified the originally tubular pneumatic pedal action, and built new chests for the three pedal ranks.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on December 10, 2010:

Updated through online information from Connor Annable.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on July 14, 2009:

Updated through online information from Don Daley.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on February 18, 2008:

Updated through online information from William M. Worden. -- Restored by Homer Blanchard c. 1960-65; tubular pedal action was dependent on a huge thin channelboard and was considered hopeless; replaced with electric action to pedal stops only.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on August 23, 2005:

On-line update from David W. Morris -- Organ is in wonderful condition and is used regularly for Weddings and funerals and other liturgies that are held in the chapel (former church). Was used regularly for all liturgical events until new, larger church was built a few years ago to be used for weekend liturgies and events requiring larger seating accomodations.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on October 30, 2004:

Status Note: There 1963

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
Source not recorded: Open In New Tab Typed stoplist from the OHS PC Database.
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Instrument Images:

Rear gallery and organ: Photograph by Len Levasseur. Taken on 2009-03-12

Nave, Balcony, and Organ Case: Photograph by William T. Van Pelt. Taken on 2008-05-01

Chapel Exterior: Photograph by William T. Van Pelt. Taken on 2008-05-01

Builder's Nameplate: Photograph by William T. Van Pelt. Taken on 2008-05-01

Keydesk and Pedalboard: Photograph by William T. Van Pelt. Taken on 2008-05-01

Left Drawknobs: Photograph by William T. Van Pelt. Taken on 2008-05-01

Right Drawknobs: Photograph by William T. Van Pelt. Taken on 2008-05-01

This instrument has been viewed 328 times.