Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

Mathias Schwab (1859 ca.)

Location:

St. Joseph Convent
E 12th and Greenup Streets
Covington, KY 41011 US
Organ ID: 18019

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Convents, Monasteries, and the like
  • The organ is known from a single historic document only; presumed no longer extant, and may never have existed.
  • The organ's condition is good, in regular use.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Paul R. Marchesano on January 13, 2021.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Information unknown or not applicable
  • 7 ranks. 337 pipes.
All:
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Main:
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Paul R. Marchesano on January 13, 2021:

Founded in 1859 by The Benedictine Sisters of St. Walburg Monastery from Erie, Pennsylvania at the request of the bishop to teavh German to the children of St. Joseph [German Catholic] parish. Seems to be locally or commonly called St. Joseph's convent, although that has not been confirmed as the official name. St. Joseph's Church was completed the same year. This suggests a date of c. 1859 to this organ.

The buildig was remodeled in 1878 with a revised tower. In 1915 the tower was knocked off the building by a tornado and there was some additional damage to the building.

The organ was moved [apparently] when the nuns established Villa Madonna College in 1922 on a large farm property purchased in 1903. In 1916, the novitiate moved from Covington to Villa Madonna, and the motherhouse in 1922.

We received the most recent update for this note from Paul R. Marchesano on January 13, 2021.

Paul R. Marchesano on January 13, 2021:

Sold to St. Francis Xavier R. C., Falmouth, KY c. 1941-46 shortly before the building was razed.

We received the most recent update for this note from Paul R. Marchesano on January 13, 2021.

Database Manager on September 20, 2006:

Moved to a Roman Catholic church (not named) in southern Kentucky when the convent building was razed.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Instrument Images:

Building exterior: Photograph from an archival source: website, submitted by Paul R. Marchesano. Taken approx. unknown

Postcard of building exterior with academy and other buildings visible: Photograph from an archival source: website, submitted by Paul R. Marchesano. Taken approx. unknown

Photo showing clock tower in the street after a tornado: Photograph from an archival source: website, submitted by Paul R. Marchesano. Taken approx. c. 1915

Church interior: Photograph from an archival source: website, submitted by Paul R. Marchesano. Taken approx. unknown

This instrument has been viewed 86 times.