Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

Kurt E. Roderer (1956)

Originally Flentrop Orgelbouw (1956)

Location:

Oberlin Conservatory of Music
Oberlin, OH 44074 US
Organ ID: 2197

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Conservatories and Independent Music Schools
  • The organ has been relocated.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from John Roper on February 17, 2021.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Slider
  • 7 ranks. 354 pipes. 2 divisions. 1 manuals. 6 stops. 6 registers.
Manuaal:
  • Chest Type(s): Slider chests
  • Built by Flentrop Orgelbouw
We received the most recent update for this division from John Roper on February 17, 2021.

Pedaal:
  • Chest Type(s): Slider chests
  • Built by Flentrop Orgelbouw
We received the most recent update for this division from John Roper on February 17, 2021.
Main:
  • Built by Flentrop Orgelbouw
  • Manuals: 1
  • Divisions: 2
  • Stops: 6
  • Registers: 6
  • Position: Keydesk attached, manuals set into case.
  • Manual Compass: 54
  • Pedal Compass: 32
  • Key Action: Mechanical connection from key to chest (tracker, sticker or mix).
  • Stop Action: Mechanical connection between stop control and chest.
  • Console Style: Traditional style without cover.
  • Stop Controls: Sliding stop controls/levers.
  • Combination Action: No combination action.
  • Swell Control Type: No enclosed divisions.
  • Pedalboard Type: Flat straight pedalboard.
We received the most recent update for this console from John Roper on February 17, 2021.
John Roper on February 17, 2021:

From the NYC Organ page: This one-manual positief organ was built for a lecture-demonstration given by Dirk A. Flentrop in a meeting room of the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel. Mr. Flentrop spoke on "Trends in European Organ-Building" and the organ was demonstrated by Mr. Donald Willing. The organ had six manual stops and pull-down pedals.

Kurt E. Röderer, then an employee of Flentrop Orgelbouw, installed the positief organ. Following the convention, the organ was sold to Fenner Douglas for his Oberlin, Ohio residence. Mr. Röderer moved the organ to Oberlin, and then decided to stay in the U.S. The Flentrop organ was later acquired by the Oberlin Conservatory of Music and is extant (with two added pedal stops) in Fairchild Chapel, as shown in the photo.

We received the most recent update for this note from John Roper on February 17, 2021.

Database Manager on August 12, 2015:

The organ has been relocated to Alexandria, Virginia.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on August 12, 2015:

Information received from Glendon Frank:
This organ was built for the 1956 American Guild of Organist Convention - New York City. It was built for a lecture-demonstration given by Dirk A. Flentrop in a meeting room of the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel. Mr. Flentrop spoke on "Trends in European Organ-Building," and the organ was demonstrated by Mr. Donald Willing. The organ had pull-down pedals.
Following the convention, the organ was sold to Fenner Douglas for his Oberlin, Ohio residence. Kurt Röderer, who had been a Flentrop employee, moved the organ to Oberlin, and then decided to stay in the U.S.
The Flentrop organ was later acquired by the Oberlin Conservatory of Music and is extant (with two added pedal stops) in Fairchild Chapel. (Database Manager. 2015-08-10)

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on February 11, 2019.
Source not recorded: Open In New Tab Stoplist taken from console, August 6, 2015
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from John Roper on February 17, 2021.

Instrument Images:

Organ Case and Keydesk: Photograph by William T. Van Pelt. Taken on 2008-06-25

Manual and Builder's Name Stencil: Photograph by William T. Van Pelt. Taken on 2008-06-25

This instrument has been viewed 389 times.