Overbrook Presbyterian Church
6376 City Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19151 US
Organ ID: 33294
From the organ page of the church website: The Clarence H. Geist Memorial Organ was built in 1939 by the M.P. Moller Company, Inc. of Hagerstown, Maryland, under the supervision of Richard Whitelegg. It was installed as part of the church’s Fiftieth Anniversary celebration, and dedicated by Virgil Fox on January 17, 1940. Its original specifications and console design were drawn up by Henry Beard, the Organist of Overbrook Presbyterian Church. At its installation and finishing, it contained 53 ranks of 3,357 pipes.
On July 4, 1978, the organ suffered extensive damage in two chambers due to a vandalism attack. J. Fred Ade, Inc., of Drexel Hill and Schultz & Associates, of Philadelphia, were contracted to restore, rebuild, and tonally modify the organ. A series of three Rededication Recitals, performed by former Overbrook Organists John Tuttle and William Evans, and present Organist Dennis Elwell, were presented in November 1980.
In 2000, the Reuter Organ Company, of Lawrence, Kansas, installed a new organ console, which additionally accommodates a new Antiphonal Digital Organ, built by the Walker Technical Company of Zionsville, Pennsylvania. A Rededication Recital was performed by Dennis Elwell in March 2001.
Updated through online information from Jeff Scofield. -- Seriously damaged in the chambers by vandals July 4, 1978; rebuilt, restored with tonal changes by Drexel Hill and Schultz & Associates; new console in 2000 by Reuter, as well as a new Walker digital Antiphonal.
Identified from factory documents and publications courtesy of Stephen Schnurr.