In 1878, the church contracted with another well-known American organ firm, Hutchings-Plaisted of Boston to re-build and re-locate the organ. Substantially expanded and moved from its balcony location to the left front side of the church. In the move from balcony to front of the church, the organ size more than doubled the number of pipes, and it received a new organ case. The Hutchings-designed black walnut organ case, with minor modifications is still in use today, albeit now painted white. Of tracker (mechanical) action, the 1878 organ was blown by hand until 1903, when a water motor was installed to raise the necessary wind pressure.
The 1878 Hutchings organ was altered with conversion to electric key and stop action and a new console in 1929, while retaining the Hutchings slider windchests. The water motor was replaced with an electric unit in 1917. The 1878 Hutchings slider windchests on which the pipes sit were replaced in 1957 including a substantial renovation undertaken by the late Rostron Kershaw. This re-building increased the organ to twenty-eight ranks and a set of chimes. -- from "The First Parish Organ", history via church website
Updated through online information from T. Daniel Hancock.
Identified through online information from T. Daniel Hancock. -- Owen, 1979, reports that the organ was originally built by Goodrich in 1829 for this church. Someone added a Sub Bass 16' to the pull-down pedalboard ca. 1852, and Hutchings, Plaisted, & Co. provided a new case, new console, and new action during the 1880's.
The database contains no images for this instrument. If you have some, please share them using the update entry button on this page.