Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

Unknown Builder (1864)

Originally Henry Erben (1851)

Location:

First Presbyterian Church
3rd & Washington
Portland, OR US
Organ ID: 8216

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Presbyterian Churches
  • The organ has been relocated.
  • The organ's condition is unknown.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Jim Stettner on December 19, 2021.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Slider
  • 6 ranks. 285 pipes. 1 divisions. 1 manuals. 7 stops. 6 registers.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): Slider chests
  • Position: In a case at the front of the room.
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on April 17, 2019.
Main:
  • Manuals: 1
  • Divisions: 1
  • Stops: 7
  • Registers: 6
  • Manual Compass: 56
  • Pedal Compass: 27
  • Key Action: Mechanical connection from key to chest (tracker, sticker or mix).
  • Stop Action: Mechanical connection between stop control and chest.
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on April 17, 2019.
Database Manager on April 17, 2019:

Updated by Jim Lewis, naming this as the source of information: The Weekly Oregon Statesman January 4, 1864 - \"Old First Presbyterian Church\". Faber, Stephen L. Old First Presbyterian Church 1999. According to a church history, this Erben organ was purchased second-hand in 1852 by George Pettinos for First Presbyterian, San Francisco. It was sold to First Presbyterian, Portland, Oregon, in 1864 for $1000. The Erben was replaced by the former Boston Music Hall 1834 Appleton organ in 1864.

We received the most recent update for this note from Jim Stettner on December 19, 2021.

Database Manager on February 19, 2007:

Updated through on-line information from James R. Stettner.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on October 30, 2004:

Status Note: There 1996.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on October 30, 2004:

Origins obscure. Said to have come from Calvary Presbyterian, San Francisco, CA; via First Presbyterian, Portland, OR c. 1863, where it was until 1893; via Westminster Presbyterian, Portland, OR 1889 (1893?); via Vernon Presbyterian, Portland, OR 1897 (1907?); via Lewis & Clark College, Portland, OR (housed at Dr. L. Thayer residence 1950's-1978). Restored by Coulter in 1979 and relocated back to First Presbyterian, Portland, OR by 1996. Note that the only 1851 1m. Erben for San Francisco was for Episcopal church.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
Source not recorded: Open In New Tab Typed stoplist from the OHS PC Database.
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Stoplist copied from the keydesk: Open In New Tab Typed stoplist and notes, revised by James R. Stettner
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from Jim Stettner on December 19, 2021.

Instrument Images:

Church exterior; Photo from church history: Digital image by James R. Stettner. Taken on 2008-12-15

This instrument has been viewed 676 times.