Unknown Builder
1908

Originally Johann Philip Bachman (1819)

St. John's English Lutheran Church / Luther Memorial Lutheran

S. 5th Street
Tacoma, WA, US

11 Ranks
Instrument ID: 2526 ● Builder ID: 6193 ● Location ID: 2420
⬆️ These are database IDs that may change. Don't use as academic reference.EXPLORE IMAGES

Something not quite correct?Suggest an Edit

IMAGES

Category:
Only show images in a specific category ☝️

Something missing or not quite correct?Add ImageorSuggest an Edit

STOPLISTS

No stoplist details are available. If you have stoplists, please consider sharing them with us.

Something missing?Add StoplistorSuggest an Edit

CONSOLES

Selected Item:
View additional console entries if they exist ☝️

Builder: Unknown
Position: Detached, Reversed Keydesk (Mechanical Action)
Design: Traditional With a Keyboard Cover That Can Be Lifted To Form a Music Rack
Pedalboard Type: Flat Straight
Features:
1 Manuals (54 Notes)18 Note Pedal9 Stops9 RegistersMechanical (Unknown) Key ActionMechanical Stop Action

Stop Layout: Drawknobs in Horizontal Rows on Flat Jambs
Expression Type: No Enclosed Divisions
Combination Action: None
Control System: Unknown or N/A

Something missing or not quite correct?Add ConsoleorSuggest an Edit

DETAILS

Switch between notes, documents, audio, and blowers ☝️
This instrument is: Extant and Playable in this location

Database Manager on November 11th, 2007:

Updated through online information from James R. Stettner. -- According to Dr. Orpha Ochse in her book The History of the Organ in the United States (pg. 63), the organ was moved to Tacoma in 1904. However, the parish history gives a date of 1908, and a newspaper article in 1933 prior to the "rebuild" of the organ also reiterates the 1908 date. According to the St. John's history, parishioner Aaron Beckley learned that his old home church (Friedens Lutheran) was being presented with a new organ. He wrote and requested that the Bachman be given to St. John's English Lutheran. This request was granted, providing St. John's would pay the freight from PA to WA. The organ arrived in Tacoma and was set-up by an undocumented organ builder who "added [the] pedal bass." This may not be accurate. It is not presently clear if the pedalboard was added with the 16' Bourdon at this time, or if the pedalboard existed and the independent Pedal register was added, or if this is incorrect information. The original keydesk does have 9 seemingly original drawknobs, but does not have a drawknob for a pedal coupler. In 1932, St. John's English Lutheran merged with Our Saviour's Lutheran at the St. John's building and became Luther Memorial Lutheran. The organ remained unaltered until a contract was signed with Balcom and Vaughan of Seattle in 1933 for the rebuilding of the organ. In truth, this was more of a "new" organ made from various used parts.


Database Manager on October 30th, 2004:

From Friedens Lutheran, Myerstown, Pennsylvania in 1908. Moved and rebuilt 1933 by Balcom & Vaughan.

Related Instrument Entries: Johann Philip Bachman (1819) , Balcom and Vaughan (1933)

Something missing or not quite correct?Add NoteorAdd WebpageorAdd Cross ReferenceorSuggest an Edit

Pipe Organ Database

A project of the Organ Historical Society