Something not quite correct?Suggest an Edit
Something missing or not quite correct?Add ImageorSuggest an Edit
Something missing?Add StoplistorSuggest an Edit
Something missing or not quite correct?Add ConsoleorSuggest an Edit
Updated through online information from James R. Stettner. -- This was essentially a "new" organ, which was made from amalagmated parts. The contract was signed in March of 1933, and the project cost $1,800.00. The console was an 8 year old Bennett theatre organ console from the State (Rivoli) Theatre in Seattle. The chests were used, electrified Kimball ventil chests. The facade was retained from the church's previous, used 1819 Philip Bachman tracker - relocated to Tacoma from Myerstown, PA in 1908. Side wings of dummy wooden pipes were added to the facade to enlarge its appearance. None of the speaking Bachman facade pipes from the 8' Open Diapason were incorporated. Some of the Bachman pipework survived in fragmentary form. The stopped wooden flute was Kimball and original to the chests used in the rebuild. The Balcom and Vaughan Master Opus List says the organ was a 2-7, and then gives a secondary date of 1943. At the time of my visit, the organ was a 2-9, so it was likely enlarged by Balcom and Vaughan in 1943. The Pedal 16' Bourdon had 30 pipes and borrowed its top two notes from the Swell 8' Stopped Diapason. The organ survived in this form until very recent years when the church closed. The original keydesk, pedalboard, some of the framework, and any identifiable Bachman pipework was removed and safely stored in the shop of Paul Fritts. The remainder of the organ was acquired by Tacoma student and amateur organ builder Sean M. Haley who had possible plans to rebuild the organ for his home church in a small community somewhere on Washington's Olympic Peninsula. Organ documented February 22, 1991.
The original builder was Philip Bachman (1819).
Status Note: There 1992.
Rebuild for new bldg. and electrification of 1-11, 1819 Philip Bachman organ, using facade and parts. Other parts preserved at State Museum of Washington, and returned to the church c. 1990. [Brunner indicates church later known as Luther Memorial.]
Related Instrument Entries: Unknown Builder (1908) , Johann Philip Bachman (1819)
Something missing or not quite correct?Add NoteorAdd WebpageorAdd Cross ReferenceorSuggest an Edit