Something not quite correct?Suggest an Edit
Something missing or not quite correct?Add ImageorSuggest an Edit
Something missing?Add StoplistorSuggest an Edit
Something missing or not quite correct?Add ConsoleorSuggest an Edit
Updated through online information from Shirley Kuhn, Organist & Choirmaster: In 1914, Calvary Episcopal Church in Tarboro, NC, sold this instrument to St. Paul's Episcopal Church (not St. James) in Wilmington, NC, where it remained in its second home for 30 years. In 1944, this instrument came to Trinity Episcopal Church in Chocowinity, NC, (the second oldest church in the state--1774), presumably donated after "the little brick" church in Wilmington had "failed" and for 19 years the parish house had to be used for worship, until their current church building was completed in 1958. (At Trinity Church in Chocowinity, the organ received a complete restoration in 2008 which included some additions that I will submit fairly soon.)
Transplanted note from duplicate OHS Database listing. Database Manager on April 29th, 2016: Updated through online information from Joseph Browne. The organ was built for Calvary Episcopal Church in Tarboro, NC. It was later used at Saint Paul's Episcopal Church in Wilmington, NC (not Saint James, as was earlier thought). It was moved to Trinity Episcopal Church in Chocowinity, NC where it is still used regularly today.
Transplanted note from duplicate Database listing. Database Manager on May 17th, 2006: Referred to in the Stevens records as "the NC church," according to a brochure published by Trinity Church, Chocowinity -- the current owners of the organ. Sold in 1914 to St. James Episcopal, Wilmington, North Carolina; then moved to Trinity Parish in 1944.
This entry represents the installation of a used organ. Unknown what, if any, tonal and/or mechanical modifications may have been made at the time of installation in 1944.
The organ is on the side at floor level at the rear of the room; it is installed in a recessed area with a case front and stencilled façade pipes.
According to a brochure published by Trinity in connection with fund-raising for a complete restoration (2005), the organ moved from Calvary Episcopal in Tarboro, NC. to St. Paul's, Wilmington, North Carolina in 1914. St. Paul's then donated to Trinity Church in Chocowinity in 1944.
Façade, pipes and case-work refinished, and bellows re-leathered in 1987 by J. Allen Farmer.
From Calvary Episcopal, Tarboro, NC (1866); via St. Paul's Episcopal, Wilmington, NC. (1914).
Related Instrument Entries: J. Allen Farmer, Inc. (2006 - 2008) , Geo. Stevens (& Co.) (1866) , Unknown Builder (1914)
Something missing or not quite correct?Add NoteorAdd WebpageorAdd Cross ReferenceorSuggest an Edit