Something not quite correct?Suggest an Edit
We are grateful for the generous support of our sponsors, who make it possible for us to continue our mission of preserving and promoting the rich history of pipe organs across the globe.
Something missing?Add Image
Something missing?Add StoplistorSuggest an Edit
Something missing or not quite correct?Add ConsoleorSuggest an Edit
The church was founded in 1904 and originally known as the Rubicon Presbyterian Church. The cornerstone for the first church was laid on Nov. 30, 1906, at the corner of Brown and Lowes Streets. Due to donations of John H. Patterson and his family, the name of the congregation was change to Patterson Memorial Presbyterian Church. On June 21, 1925, construction began on a much larger building at Brown Street and Stonemill Road. It was at this time that the Estey pipe organ was built.
In 1932, the congregation merged with Raper Methodist Episcopal Church, which had been founded in 1842 as Finley Chapel at the corner of Fifth and Jackson in the Oregon District. The new congregation used the Patterson Memorial building and became known as the South Park Methodist Episcopal Church.
Due to a denominational merger, in 1968 it became a United Methodist Church, then in 1995 merged with Oak Street United Methodist Church, meeting at the South Park building and retaining the name of South Park United Methodist Church.
The facility was sold in 2016. It is believed the organ was either sold or parted out at this time or slightly before.
A developer proposed turning the building into housing, but opposition from the University of Dayton, the neighborhood and Preservation Dayton, Inc. stalled those plans. The building was sold twice more before it was announced in May 2021, that the University of Dayton, Premier Health, and Woodard Development planned to save and respectfully reuse the original, historic portion of the South Park Methodist Church. The building was enlarged and is now the Premier Health building.
According to the web site of St. Charles Borromeo, Skillman, New Jersey, the Subbass from this organ is now a part of the 2009 Russell Meyer organ in their church.
Identified by James R. Stettner through information from the Estey Opus List, published in The Boston Organ Club newsletter, 1973-1979.
Related Instrument Entries: Russell Meyer & Associates (Opus 12, 2009)
Something missing or not quite correct?Add NoteorAdd WebpageorAdd Cross ReferenceorSuggest an Edit