Schlicker Organ Co.
1974

Originally Schlicker Organ Co. (1941)

Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church

470 North Main
Wellsville, NY, US

17 Ranks
Instrument ID: 50787 ● Builder ID: 5574 ● Location ID: 44548
⬆️ These are database IDs that may change. Don't use as academic reference.VIEW STOPLIST

Something not quite correct?Suggest an Edit

Plenum Organ Company

🤝 Instrument entries in New York sponsored by:

We are grateful for the generous support of our sponsors, who make it possible for us to continue our mission of preserving and promoting the rich history of pipe organs across the globe.

IMAGES

Category:
Only show images in a specific category ☝️

No images are available. If you have pictures of this instrument, please consider sharing them with us.

Something missing?Add Image

STOPLISTS

Selected Item:
View additional stoplist entries if they exist ☝️

Something missing or not quite correct?Add StoplistorSuggest an Edit

CONSOLES

Selected Item:
View additional console entries if they exist ☝️

Builder: Unknown
Position: Console in Fixed Position, Center
Design: Traditional With Roll Top
Pedalboard Type: Concave Radiating (Meeting AGO Standards)
Features:
2 Manuals (61 Notes)32 Note Pedal3 Divisions22 Stops32 RegistersElectrical Key ActionElectrical Stop Action✓ Combination Thumb Piston(s)✓ Sforzando Thumb Piston(s)✓ Sforzando Toe Piston(s)

Stop Layout: Stop Keys Above Top Manual
Expression Type: Balanced Expression Shoes/Pedals (Meeting AGO Standards)
Combination Action: 'Hold and Set' Pneumatic/Mechanical
Control System: Unknown or N/A

Something missing or not quite correct?Add ConsoleorSuggest an Edit

DETAILS

Switch between notes, documents, audio, and blowers ☝️
This instrument is: Extant and Playable in this location

Scot Huntington on February 12th, 2022:

An update and correction to my post of January 5, 2013:
The church used to post their annual reports and newsletters on their website. In a report from 2003, whomever wrote the post from the Music Committee concerning the recent upgrade of the organ obviously didn't understand much about organbuilding. The posting confused a new console for the original being moved from the gallery to the front of the church; and the replacement of the original combination action with a new digital solid-state multi-level system, was described as an enlargement of the organ with "digital additions". The report went on to erroneously conclude the tonal versatility of the organ was now expanded, and "made the organ a better fit with their new blended liturgy of traditional and contemporary music". The organ remains tonally as Schlicker left it in 1974. This erroneous report has also been corrected in another post.

Recent research (2022) by Stephen Pinel toward the creation of a John Brown opus list, has identified two organs in Wellsville. The Lutheran church purchased what is believed to be their first pipe organ, from John Brown in 1901-- a tracker of 16 stops. This organ was moved from the rear gallery to the front of the church in 1927 following two enlargements of the building, retaining the original mechanical action. The electrification of the John Brown organ by Schlicker in 1941, retained the majority of the original pipework without tonal alteration.


Database Manager on February 21st, 2015:

Updated through online information from Eric Miller. -- 2003 Rebuild maintained the Schlicker specification. This is not a hybrid instrument. It does not have a new console.


Database Manager on January 12th, 2013:

Updated through online information from Scot Huntington. -- Due to budgetary restrictions, the disposition of the rebuilt organ was limited by the number of stop tablets available on the stop rail and combination machine of the reused 1941 console. The 1941 voicing was loudened as part of the 1974 rebuilding.


Database Manager on January 5th, 2013:

Altered and relocated existing organ.
Identified by Scot Huntington, based on personal knowledge of the organ.
-- The original West Genesee Street Church organ was moved here after the original building was torn down following the disastrous Hurricane Agnes flood of 1972. The organ was stored at the Schlicker factory pending the congregation's plans for rebuilding. Working with only a modest budget of $11,000, the Schlicker company could only make the most basic of tonal updates: adding three stops (5 ranks), repitching the unit Swell flute an octave higher in an effort to make the organ more tonally sympathetic to baroque music, and at the request of the church's organist, a theater organ buff, the original stop tablets were replaced with theater-organ style colored stop keys. The organ was installed in a chamber in the rear gallery behind grill cloth. Originally both divisions were enclosed together in the original installation, but here, the Great and Pedal were installed unenclosed. Wally Guzowkski did the voicing and tonal finishing.

In 2003, following a rebuilding of the sanctuary, the Heritage Pipe Organ Company of West Valley, New York, incorporated the Schlicker pipework into a new two-manual hybrid instrument greatly expanded with many digital imitation voices, and the new console and choir were relocated to a newly created alcove located to the left of the altar on the main floor.

Related Instrument Entries: Schlicker Organ Co. (1941 ca.) , Heritage Pipe Organs (2003) , John Brown (1901) , Unknown Builder (1927)

Something missing or not quite correct?Add NoteorAdd WebpageorAdd Cross ReferenceorSuggest an Edit

Pipe Organ Database

A project of the Organ Historical Society