Pipe Organ Database

a project of the organ historical society

E. & G. G. Hook (Opus 254, 1859)

Location:

Church of the Unity (Unitarian)
West Newton Street
Boston, MA 02118 US
Organ ID: 8127

Update This Entry

Status and Condition:

  • This instrument's location type is: Unitarian, Universalist, Unitarian-Universalist
  • The organ has been relocated.
  • The organ's condition is not playable.
We received the most recent update for this instrument's status from Paul R. Marchesano on May 02, 2022.

Technical Details:

  • Chests: Slider
  • 33 ranks. 1,633 pipes. 4 divisions. 3 manuals. 30 stops. 32 registers.
All:
  • Chest Type(s): Slider chests
  • Position: In center chambers at the front of the room. No visible pipes.
We received the most recent update for this division from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Main:
  • Manuals: 3
  • Divisions: 4
  • Stops: 30
  • Registers: 32
  • Position: Keydesk attached.
  • Manual Compass: 56
  • Pedal Compass: 27
  • Key Action: Mechanical connection from key to chest (tracker, sticker or mix).
  • Stop Action: Mechanical connection between stop control and chest.
  • Console Style: Traditional style with a keyboard cover that can be lifted to form a music rack.
  • Stop Controls: Drawknobs in horizontal rows on terraced/stepped jambs.
  • Combination Action: No combination action.
  • Swell Control Type: Trigger/hitch-down swell.
  • Pedalboard Type: Flat straight pedalboard.
We received the most recent update for this console from Database Manager on May 13, 2018.
Database Manager on September 17, 2008:

Updated through online information from James R. Stettner. -- The Swell was from tenor C and likely had an unenclosed Std. Diapason Bass. The Swell shutters were horizontal and operated by hitch-down/ratchet.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Database Manager on October 30, 2004:

Rebuilt and enlarged by E. & G. G. Hook & Hastings in 1870. Relocated to Zion Lutheran Church in 1898 by Hutchings.

We received the most recent update for this note from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.
from Boston Organ Club Newsletter (March 1969): Open In New Tab Typed specification
We received the most recent update for this stoplist from Database Manager on April 09, 2020.

Instrument Images:

This lithograph shows front and side views of the Church of the Unity. The church was designed by Thomas Silloway, 1857-59; demolished 1890s: Photograph from an archival source: Historic New England website, submitted by Paul R. Marchesano. Taken approx. c. 1859-1860

Pipe Organs in Massachusetts sponsored by:
This instrument has been viewed 552 times.