Something not quite correct?Suggest an Edit
Something missing?Add Image
Something missing?Add StoplistorSuggest an Edit
Something missing or not quite correct?Add ConsoleorSuggest an Edit
History of the 1851 Erben (according to builder James Baird)
-Built for the Presbyterian Church in Kearneysville, Virginia, now West Virginia, 1851.
-Moved to the Presbyterian Church in Leesburg, Virginia, 1901.
-Moved to the Old Presbyterian Meeting House, Alexandria, Virginia by Lewis & Hitchcock, Inc.,
1956, and placed in the front of the gallery.
-Moved to Immanuel Presbyterian Church, McLean, Virginia by Cleveland Fisher, 1962.
-Moved to the home of Ira (Ben) Faidley, McLean, Virginia by Jim Baird ca. 1980.
-Moved to St. Luke's Anglican Catholic Church, Fredericksburg, Virginia, by Jim Baird and David Dutton, 2009.
The organ's early history has not been uncovered. In 1946 it was removed from the
Presbyterian Church, Leesburg, Va., and put in storage. The Old Presbyterian Meeting
House, Alexandria, Va., upon recommendation of Barbara J. Owen, bought it in
1956 for $500 from Lewis & Hitchcock, Inc., Washington. In 1962 Cleveland Fisher
move it from the Meeting House's Flouder House to its present location. At that
time, in addition to replacing the flute with a fifteenth, the principal was brightened;
also, the swell-shade panel with its hold-down pedal was left off, as well as two foot
levers, of which one drew both 4' stops and the other canceled them. Since that time
members of the church have refinished the case. Heresay at Leesburg states that it
came there from Trinity Episcopal Church, Shepherdstown, W. Va., but parishioners
at this latter church confound it with legends of the "Port Royal" organ, now in the
Smithsonian Institution.
M arks found on the organ :
Low CC, principal pipe : Eider's No. 2
Tenor F, flute pipe : John E. Ayres / 1851
Tenor F, open diapason pipe : 1 851 / G. W. Osler / 2m Scale
( with a 3 scratched over the 2) .
Tenor F, dulciana pipe : Organ No. 1 / 3d Scale
Half, wood-dummy case pipe left of center : E F - - - - Sept 24 - 1861
Center case pipe : A Linden 1853
Inside, right upper panel, addressed : C. W. Andrews / Kerneysville
(This would be Kearneysville, W. Va.)
Shipping tag, underside of case top, addressed:]. L. Lupton / Point Rocks, Md.
-- 1964 OHS Handbook
The original builder was Henry Erben (1851).
From Old Presbyterian Meeting House, Alexandria, VA in 1962. Moved here and altered by Cleveland Fisher. Moved before 1993 to Ira B. Faidley residence, McLean, VA. [James Baird in 1969 was to place a 2-7 Hook & Hastings here, in addition to the Erben. Did this ever happen? (BOC 45:8)]
Related Instrument Entries: James R. Baird (ca. 1980) , James R. Baird (2009) , Lewis & Hitchcock, Inc. (1956) , Unknown Builder (1901) , Henry Erben (1851)
Something missing or not quite correct?Add NoteorAdd WebpageorAdd Cross ReferenceorSuggest an Edit